Realtek High Definition Audio Driver is software that makes it easy for Windows to talk to audio gear made by Realtek. This audio driver gives your computer DTS Sound that is of HD quality. What if your operating system has no sound and the Realtek HD Audio driver is quiet?
When their Realtek audio driver stops making Sound, this is a problem that many Windows 10 users run into. This problem can happen after the Windows OS is updated to Windows 10. If you need to figure out if it’s a problem with the system driver, you should try (#solution 1) first to figure out what’s wrong.
Once you know that the Realtek High Definition Audio Driver not working in Windows 10 is because of the system driver, you can try other solutions to fix the problem. If you still need to, you will need to get the driver that works with your version of Windows.
So, keep reading this article to learn how to fix the Realtek High Definition Audio Driver and get Sound back in Windows 10.
How to Fix Realtek High Definition Audio Driver Issue?
Solution 1. Confirm System Driver Issue
Follow the steps below carefully to make sure that your Realtek audio problem on Windows 10 is fixed:
- Press the Windows + R simultaneously to open the Run box.
- Type devmgmt.msc into the run box and click OK. That will open the Device Manager in Windows 10.
- Click on Sound in the Device Manager window to make it bigger. Then click on Video and Game Controllers.
- Here, you’ll find Realtek High Definition Audio.
- If there is a yellow exclamation mark next to the device’s name, it means that the driver is broken and needs to be updated.
Ensure your High Definition Audio device isn’t muted before you update the Realtek audio drivers for Windows 10. After figuring out what’s wrong, try the following methods to fix Windows 10 No Sound Realtek.
Solution 2. Turn Off Audio Enhancements
You can see if turning off the Realtek high definition audio not working on Windows 10 problem is caused by the audio improvement tool. This tool is meant to improve your sound card’s work, but unfortunately, not all sound cards can use it.
So, it’s best to turn off the Audio Enhancement Feature. To do so, take the steps below:
- Open the window for the Control Panel. Pressing the Windows + R key simultaneously opens the run box. Type “control” and hit the Enter key to run the command.
- Click “View by Large Icons” and then “Sound,” as shown in the picture.
- Now, on the Playback tab, right-click on the Default Device you have and click Properties.
- Then, go to the “ Enhancement “ tab and check the box next to “Disable all sound effects.”
Last, check the Sound on your PC. If the problem with the music is still not fixed, choose “Cancel,” then repeat steps 2 and 3 with all of your other usual devices.
Solution 3. Check Cable Connection
If your cord link is loose, you might encounter the Windows 10 no-sound Realtek problem. Ensure all headphones and speaker connections are tight and not in the wrong jack or loose.
Make sure the power and Sound are turned up. The headphones are put in right. Sometimes, even if the headphones are plugged in, the speakers won’t work.
You can hear the music after you’ve checked the wire link and the volume setting. If not, keep looking for other answers.
Solution 4. Uninstall the Driver
This fix will fix the problem of Realtek high-definition audio not working on Windows 10. Sometimes, a user will load a bad or mismatched audio driver on their system, which makes the audio gear unsuitable for the system.
The problem with the Realtek high-definition audio driver not working in Windows 10 could be caused by these things. So, here’s what you need to do to fix this problem:
- Press the Windows+ X key simultaneously, then click on Device Manager.
- Click on “Sound” to make it, “Video,” and “Game Controllers” bigger.
- Right-click on the driver for the sound card and click Uninstall.
- If the system gives you a message, click OK.
When the process of uninstalling is done, restart your computer. Follow the other steps if you need help fixing the Realtek High Definition Audio Driver Issue.
Solution 5. Update the Sound Driver
If none of the above solutions fix the problem of the Realtek High Definition Audio Driver not working, then you need to update the old Sound driver.
To update the audio driver, you can either do it by hand or run a professional tool that does it for you.
Manual Driver Update:
To update the audio driver by hand, go to the company’s website that made your audio card and look for the latest driver that works with your PC or laptop.
Automatic Driver Update:
If you can’t update audio drivers manually, try Driver Updater. This utility will update drivers, discover the proper system drivers for your audio card, and report driver issues.
Solution 6. Try the Generic Audio Driver
This fix will bring back the Sound in Windows 10. If none of the above work to fix the Realtek high-definition audio driver problem, try this one.
To try a general audio driver, do the following:
- Press Windows and X to bring up the Device Manager. Then click the “Device Manager” button.
- Click on “Sound” to make it, “Video,” and “Game Controllers” bigger.
- Right-click on the driver for your sound card, then click Update Driver Software.
- Click on Look for driver software on my computer.
- Now, click Let me choose from a list of my computer’s device drivers.
- Then click on High Definition Audio Device.
- If you’re asked to confirm something, click “Yes” to keep going.
After that, you can see that your system driver is now Windows 10’s general audio driver. Last, check if the Sound is back on your PC or laptop.
Solution 7. Check the Windows Audio Service
Ensure the Windows Audio service is turned on for your Realtek high-definition audio driver to work properly.
If your Windows 10 computer doesn’t have any music, check the service state by doing the following:
- Type services. msc and click OK after pressing the Windows + R key.
- Find Windows Audio in the Services window, double-click it to open its settings, and then change the Startup type to Automatic.
- To start the service, click the Start button.
- Now, click Apply and then OK to save the changes.
If you follow the steps above, your high-definition audio device not working in Windows 10 should be fixed.
Q1. How do I check My Realtek Driver Version?
To check the version of the Realtek driver:
- Right-click the Start button and select Device Manager.
- Double-click the Sound, video, and game controls.
- Select Properties when you right-click on the Realtek audio driver.
- Click on the tab called “Driver.”
Q2. Why Is My Realtek Audio Not Working?
Realtek High Definition Audio Driver not working can happen if your driver needs to be updated or work with the version of Windows you are using. To fix this problem, you can either load a driver that works with your system or update an old driver on your system.
Even so, other possible causes exist, like the audio improvement feature causing a clash. If the Windows Audio service is turned off, you must turn it on to fix the problem.
Q3. How do I enable Realtek High Definition Audio?
Follow these easy steps to turn on Realtek HD Audio in Windows 10:
To open the Task Manager, press Ctrl + Shift + Esc.
Click on the tab for “Startup.”
If Realtek HD Audio Manager is turned off, right-click on it and choose “Enable.”
Q4. Does Realtek HD Audio Manager need to run at startup?
The Realtek high-definition audio manager doesn’t need to run when the computer starts up. It is a different way to handle music on Windows OS. You can try turning it off, but Realtek HD audio will still work.
Watch-Out Other Articles
- Troubleshooting IO1 Initialization Error On Windows 10: How To Fix
- How To Fix PNP-Detected Fatal Error On Windows 10/11?
- How To Make A Speed Up Computers & Laptops | 10 Easy Ways
That’s all there is to know about Realtek High Definition Audio Driver not working on Windows 10. All of the methods above have been tried and tested on Windows 10 to fix the problem where Realtek audio won’t work. Don’t worry; use them one at a time to get the Sound back into your system.
Well, I hope this piece answers all of your questions. You can find answers in the Driver Problems area if you have any other driver problems.