While Grand Theft Auto is one of the most popular game series of all time, the GTA 5 Stuttering is something that a lot of players would prefer to avoid. There’s a good chance that you are having similar problems since you are reading this. Please be patient with us as we explain the most common reasons and ways to fix these problems.
In addition to speed problems, some players have reported that GTA 5 Stuttering.
Why is My GTA 5 Stuttering So Much?
GTA 5 Stuttering because the GPU driver is out of date. A slow PC can cause this: apps going in the background, not enough memory, bugs with wireless controls, or bad game files.
Some people say that the game engine used in GTA 5 doesn’t even work well with powerful computers. It is sometimes better to lower the speed to keep the video from stuttering.
How to Fix GTA 5 Stuttering?
The best way to deal with the problem is to start by making some easy fixes and checks:
- Use the game’s link to start GTA 5 and log in as an administrator.
- Using a right-click mouse click, choose “Run as administrator.”
- Make sure that your PC has at least the bare necessities to run GTA 5.
- If you have more than one GPU, make sure that when you play games, the one that is meant for games is running.
- Make sure that the folder where GTA 5 is loaded has no files or data on it.
- To fix this, connect your joystick to a wired network or use a computer and mouse.
If the slowdown in GTA 5 keeps happening, try these fixes:
- Close apps that are running in the background
- Fix the driver for the GPU
- Change the image settings in GTA 5
- Check the game files.
1. Close Background Apps
Even when GTA 5 is in desktop mode, background apps still use memory and CPU. Make sure all apps are closed before starting the game, and use Task Manager to close apps that are running in the background.
💡 Many players say that programs that make overlays are to blame for stuttering, so we highly advise that you either close the program or turn off overlays in the program settings before starting GTA 5.
- To open Task Manager, press CTRL+Shift+ESC.
- Get rid of the tools that you don’t need for GTA 5.
- Pick the End job from the menu that comes up when you right-click on the app.
- Do the same thing with any other apps that you don’t need.
2. Update The GPU Driver
Any GPU driver that is too old will give you a lot of trouble, like GTA 5 stalling. That’s why it’s important to keep the GPU driver up to date for the best game experience.
- Enter Device Manager into the search box next to the Windows icon, and then launch the resulting tool.
- Double-click on the part that says “Display adapters.” The area will get bigger, and the list of GPUs will show up.
- When you right-click on your GPU, a drop-down menu will appear. Choose “Update driver.”
- In the new window, click the “Search automatically for drivers” button. The Update Driver Wizard will see what driver changes are available.
- If an update is found, install it by following the steps given. If the update can’t be found, check again by hand or use a driver updater tool.
- Restart your computer and do any other steps that are needed to run the driver update.
3. Tweak GTA 5 Graphics Settings
You can change a lot of things about GTA 5’s graphics settings to get the best results. Here are the steps you need to take to get to these settings. We also include the settings that you should change to get the best speed and stop GTA 5 from freezing.
- Start GTA 5.
- Take a look at the menu on the left and click on Graphics.
- Find and change the following settings as you scroll down:
• Normal quality for the texture• Normal quality for the shade • Normal quality for the shadow • Normal quality for reflection • High quality for grass
- Turn off VSync when you find it.
4. Verify Game Files
It is known that corrupted game files can lead to speed problems. You should still check that all of the files are healthy, even if your game starts and runs fine.
For people who use Steam:
- Start up Steam and go to the Library.
- Right-click on GTA 5 in the Library and choose “Properties.”
- From the menu on the left, click on “Local Files.”
- Check the security of the game files button.
For people who play Epic Games:
- Launch Epic Games and go to the Library.
- When you find GTA 5, click the three dots next to it and choose Manage.
- Press the Check button.
It is what you should try if GTA 5 is still running on a high-end PC:
- (For people who use nVidia) Turn on optimization for threads.
- For both your OS and GTA 5, use an SSD.
- Some gamers say that lowering FPS can fix stuttering problems if you have a powerful computer.
- In the image settings for the game, please change it to DirectX 11.
- Make sure that your PC is properly cooled and that the CPU and GPU are not getting too hot.
- Low GPU Usage FiveM: How To Fix It Quickly
- Script Hook V Critical Error In GTA 5: How To Get Rid Of It
- GTA 5 Keeps Crashing: How To Fix It Permanently
- GTA 5 Stuck On Loading Screen: Fix It On Your Device
- GTA 5 Not Launching: How To Fix It [2023 Quick Guide]
We hope that you can already play through Los Santos without any problems and GTA 5 stuttering. If this is the case, let us know what fixed the problem for you. If you still need to, please tell us more about the problems you’re having with GTA 5. We’re on Telegram, Facebook and Twitter, too! We’d love to stay in touch!