I see a black screen when live streaming on Twitch, and even after restarting the page, it doesn’t change. If you need to know what went wrong, this guide will help you figure it out.
In this case, the whole streaming screen on Twitch stays black, but the user profiles are viewable, and the chat option works fine.
If you also get a “Twitch Black Screen” error on Twitch, here are the best ways to fix it and start streaming again.
What are the causes of Twitch Black Screen?
- DNS Problem: If your default DNS isn’t working right and your computer can’t figure out how to answer the DNS question, you’ll get a black screen.
- Server Problem: If the Twitch server is down or there is a technical problem on the Twitch server side, this could be the problem.
- Browser Cache: If your browser’s cache or viewing data is broken, these problems will happen.
- IP Configuration: If an IP address is set up wrong, it can cause network problems, which can cause a black screen on Twitch.
- Hardware Acceleration: The hardware acceleration on a computer often causes problems with other programs, websites, and apps.
How to Fix Twitch Black Screen Issue?
Before trying any of the fixes below, you should check the state of the Twitch server by going to the Twitch Twitter page. If the server is down or being fixed, you should wait until it starts working again. But if the server is working well, start doing the fixes one by one from the list below.
Solution 1: Check your Internet Connection/ Proxy
If your internet link is slow or unstable, you might have trouble streaming and see a black screen on Twitch. So, run other streaming apps to ensure your internet works well.
- Unplug your router or modem for a few minutes, then plug it back in to start over.
- Using WIFI, you will have a more stable internet connection using a wired link.
- Try testing the connection’s speed to ensure it meets Twitch’s standards.
Solution 2: Remove the Cache and Cookies of your Browser
The Twitch unknown black screen problem can happen if your browser’s cache is broken. So, you could try clearing the browser’s cache and cookies to see if that helps.
- Click on the 3 straight dots to open Google Chrome.
- Click on More Tools and then click on Clear browsing info.
- Go to the “Advanced” tab and use the drop-down menu to choose “All Time.”
- Choose from the list of choices: Download history, Browsing history, Cookies and other site data, and Cache images and files.
- Click the box that says “Clear Data.”
After clearing your browser’s history, open Twitch again to see if the black screen problem remains.
Solution 3: Disable Web Extensions
There is a chance that the Twitch black screen problem is caused by third-party plugins or extensions that you have loaded on your browser. If you’ve added any plugins or addons, turn them off individually. Here are the steps you need to take:
- Start your browser, click Settings, and then click Extensions.
- Now, on the page with all the addons, turn them all off and restart your browser.
- Check to see if Twitch works without the black screen, and then turn on each app one at a time to find the one causing the problem. And then get rid of the one that isn’t working.
Solution 4: Check and Set Google DNS
Most of the time, we use the usual DNS address our ISP gives us. If Twitch on your browser doesn’t do what you want, it could be because your usual DNS address isn’t working. In this case, Google DNS is recommended.
- Hit the Windows and R keys. Type “control panel” into the “Run” box and click “OK.”
- Click on Network and Internet in the Control Panel. Click on the Network and Sharing Center on the next page.
- Click on the name of the network you’re using next to “Connection.”
- Next, click the button that says “Properties.”
- Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4), and then double-click it.
Choose the Use and type in the following DNS server addresses and DNS addresses:
> Preferred DNS server: 184.108.40.206
> Alternate DNS server: 220.127.116.11
- To save the changes, click the OK button.
- Last, turn your computer back on.
Solution 5: Enable the TLS Options with Internet Properties
Many Twitch users reported that turning on TLS fixed the black screen for them. So, make sure your Windows machine has TLS turned on.
- Go to the search box in Windows, type “control panel,” and hit the Enter key.
- Then, in the Control Panel, change the View by group to small icons and click the Internet Options button.
- Now, click the Advanced tab, scroll down until all the TLS options are checked, and click OK to turn on TLS.
Solution 6: Turn off the Hardware Acceleration with Internet Properties
Some browsers, apps, and programs use hardware acceleration to speed up the apps and improve the pictures, videos, and sounds.
Even though this part of the computer improves the user experience, it also puts more stress on the OS because it uses hardware instead of software. Hardware acceleration doesn’t work well with other computer parts because of this.
So, this could also be why you see a black screen on Twitch. To fix this problem, you should turn this browser option off.
- Open Google Chrome, click on the 3 dots in the top right corner, and then click on Settings.
- Click Advanced and then System on the Settings box.
- Turn off the option “Use hardware acceleration when available.”
- Please close the window, then start it up again.
Solution 7: Refresh the IP Address on Run as administrator
If none of the methods above work to fix the “Twitch Black Screen” problem, the problem could be how your network is set up. So, to fix the problem, it’s best to change the IP address. You can do this by following the steps below:
- Type cmd into the Windows Search box.
- Right-click on the Command Prompt and choose “Run as administrator.”
- Type the following words into the Command Prompt and then press the Enter key:
>: ipconfig /flushdns
>: ipconfig /renew
Close the Command Prompt and then restart your machine.
- 📌 How To Fix The Windows Update System Error 10106?
- 📌 How To Fix Printer Error 1797 With HP System?
- 📌 How To Fix Corrupted Files Android And Windows 10/11?
The Twitch Black Screen problem is annoying because you can’t watch live streaming videos. But you won’t have to worry about it anymore because the tips above will help you fix the black screen on Twitch.
This piece helped you figure out how to fix this problem so you can now watch your favorite Twitch streams. We’re on Telegram, Facebook, and Twitter, too! If you want to stay connected with us, be sure to follow us. We’d love to stay in touch!